PROCROP AT A GLANCE
What is PROCROP?
PROCROP means Professional cross-priming for ovary and prostate cancer. The project is based on recent compelling knowledge on the identity of the main antigen-presenting dendritic cell (DC) subsets for vaccine elicitation of cytotoxic T lymphocytes (CTL) endowed with the ability to seek and destroy tumour cells, such immune mechanism of antigen presentation is termed crosspriming.
What aims PROCROP?
PROCROP aims to develop, in two clinical trials, a suitable personalized cancer vaccine technology for prostate cancer at high risk of postsurgical relapse and for metastatic ovarian cancer following surgical debulking that would complement currently available therapies with the prospect to increase efficacy.
Which are the expected impacts?
• New therapeutic strategy
• Contribute to the improvement of the therapeutic outcome of major chronic-non-infectious health issues.
• A prototype clinical-grade cell separation and culture product for a European Enterprise to be commercially exploited.
• Survival benefit for prostate and ovary cancer patients
• Optimization and harmonization of techniques to measure and monitor anti-tumour immune responses
• Knowledge and scientific publications
Who is implicated in PROCROP?
This Consortium brings together five different partners from three member states (Spain, Germany and Netherlands) and two from a third country (Switzerland) and it includes the participation of three research centers (FIMA, CNIC, UNIL), 3 hospitals (RUMC, UN and CHUV) and one enterprise (Miltenyi). Participants have been carefully chosen for their outstanding scientific contributions in the areas of translational and clinical tumour immunotherapy with DC vaccination, characterization of XP-DCs and immunomonitoring of anti-tumour responses and the added value that their contribution will bring to the consortium will ensure that a highly integrated and balanced programme is established.
Who is funding PROCROP project?
PROCROP has a total budget of 7.572.500€, where the 76% is funded by the European Commission and the remaining 24% from the Swiss Government.